Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Humility


Corbin and I watched a Mark Driscoll sermon last night about humility (taken from 1 Peter 5:5-14). Wow. Convicting, encouraging, helpful…yes yes and yes. From watching this, I have learned a lot about humility, pride, and even anxiety. We took notes throughout the video, so I am putting them on here in hopes that they may be helpful to you. Most everything down there is directly from the sermon (italicized is me). I pray this will be useful to you!

Just to clarify…

Nobody is humble, but we are to pursue humility by the Grace of God.

Humility is not: fear of man.

Humility is:
  • Fear of the Lord
  • Christ-like (to follow Him)
  • Accepting/Knowing your place


Some things to know…
  • We are to receive grace humbly and give it gladly.
  •  Joy is not as much an emotion as it is a lifestyle.
  • There is a difference between God’s timing and God’s calling.
  • Plan A is humility. Learn first and God will exalt you. Plan B is humiliation. You make yourself high and God takes you down. I suggest plan A.
  •  Humble people are able to live their life differently and enjoy it gladly.
  • Humble people know their sin.



Humble Christians…

  • Humble Christians respect their elders
  • Humble Christians make good leaders 
  • Humble Christians understand their life
  • Humble Christians bless their church




Here are 8 questions to consider…
  1. Am I teachable?
  2. How do I respond to correction?
  3. Do I repent quickly and thoroughly?
  4. Am I considerate of other people?
  5. Do I serve and receive well?
  6. Am I consistently aware of God’s grace in my life?
  7. Do I disagree agreeably?
  8. How much attention and affirmation do I require?



Anxiety:

  •   When anxiety happens I need to repent, not manage. I can’t know the future. I can’t control the future. Humble people know that God’s omniscient, I’m not. God’s sovereign, I’m not. Anxiety is not “things I need to manage”, it’s “things to be repented of.”
  • Satan’s best tactic is to appeal to my pride.
  •  We live in a world where pride is a virtue, not a vice.



Leave with these great reminders…

  • When you think of Jesus, think of Him in His humility for your example, and Him in His glory for your eternity.
  •  We will suffer for a little while, as we limp home to the King and His Kingdom.
  • Some would say Christianity is the easiest religion because to be saved from wrath, death, and hell you need to DO nothing but repent and believe. I would say that makes it the hardest because it requires humility.
  • Pray to be humble, serve others, love others, and also receive well.


*Not if, but where is the pride in my life?*


No comments:

Post a Comment